Thursday, July 30, 2009

The start of something great

Every new school year that approaches brings me a sense of nerves and excitement. I don't get the nausea before I go to work like I used to my first two years. Now it is a great sense of anticipation. Not quite as lurid as the Rocky Horror picture show version, but anticipation none the less. I begin in mid-July (even though I've been told not to start until August, by some of my veteran peers.) with of all things a plan book and a grade book. Something about these two simple tangible tactile objects makes me start to feel somehow prepared to face what will be a wild landslide of actions at the middle/end of August. Now, I haven't actually written anything in either of these books. But, seeing them sitting there ready for when I am ready for them, makes me feel, well, ready...er.

As a teacher many of my 'great" ideas come at times of extreme inconvenience. for example, in the middle of the lesson...."Oh crud, I should have poured more paint into little cups" or when I am in no place, position, or frame of reference to write it down or implement them, on a plane, playing disc golf, hiking. So these two little $7 books make me think that I can write it down, if some muse strikes me.

But does it ever rain when you've got an umbrella?

No comments:

Post a Comment